Thursday, August 15, 2013

What Have You Done?

Oh, my deer, what have you done?

I have never considered myself the “earthy-crunchy” type, but I do admit to being a true nature lover. I still stop and pause to watch a couple of squirrels frolicking about high up in the trees.  I have nicknamed one GEICO that seems to want to run me off the road and into my own mailbox at least three out of five days of the week by darting out in front of me when I come home from work. Yes, I am sure it is always the same one, but I refuse to elaborate. Hint: There’s this wacky glint in his eye…

Every spring I delight in seeing, for quite a few years now, hawks building their nest high up in our trees.  Spying on the babies with binoculars later, sometimes difficult once the trees have filled out, somehow thrills me. My husband as well, the TC in TLC Floral, will proclaim when they have grown big enough to see their little heads popping out over the nest.  When in the garden, if I don’t hear the parents squawking , I am occasionally alerted to their presence instead by seeing a huge shadow cast upon the grass moving across the yard like a fast forward segment in a movie depicting a story line time lapse.  A few times when I have been very still planting or pulling weeds between rows, one has landed within feet of me, and am amazed how large they are from up close, and wish I had my camera. Such a regal looking bird.

Then there are the other birds, the bunnies, raccoon, occasional fox, multitude of turtles, frogs, lizards, and yes-my encounters with snakes, I've had a few- and OH, the butterflies and dragonflies…and I realize how lucky I am to live where I do. I have to thank my TC for that.

Notice I did not mention DEER! I used to include deer in my running list of Elly May Clampett animal loves. I took pictures when they strolled into our little plot of land. If I would spot them from our sun room, I would distract our dogs to the living room so they wouldn’t bark and scare them away. I would stealthily go outside to see how close I could get without them startling and bolting back into the woods.

BUT, this year, they are dead to me! They have been taking way more than their fair share of what little grew in my yucky muck. (See “Muck Gardening” Post for more details.) “Come on!” I want to yell to the woods, “Even my second planting of tomato plants?” I guess that’s an old wive’s tale that they are poisonous because I have no dead deer lying around the neighborhood. And they are eating EVERYTHING! Flowers and veggies alike, including pears off the tree I had been looking forward to for months! I don’t mind sharing, but this is complete obliteration!

I admit I am not completely selfless in allowing caterpillars to have the majority of my parsley since I do so for my enjoyment of the butterflies. Growing organically, I do expect nature to get a cut.  The deer; however, are treating my garden like their personal smorgasbord. Though I am not an eyewitness to the events, I know I can’t blame rabbits, because they can’t strip green bean leaves to the height of five feet, even up on their little furry-cushioned Thumper back feet on a stretch. Not to mention, unlike Dexter, they don’t cover their (devilishly cloven hoof) tracks. 


So, to my two dogs I say-get ready for a good grooming my pups because out comes the dog hair for your scent to scare them off. Best of all, I am cooking up some good old homemade hot pepper spray to apply to (what little is left of) the plants so their buffet table will be a little too spicy tasting for them.  You’re in for a surprise, my deer. Take that, you Hosta thieves. That’ll teach you.

No comments:

Post a Comment